Since our first touchdown in 2006, Ray Gun Revival magazine has had one goal – to develop new writers and provide throwback-style pulp adventure stories for a new generation of readers. With the February 2011 launch of RGR 2.0, we’re going to improve every area of our publication, from the quality of the stories to the payment rates to the ways you can read the stories. This page is where we politely ask for you to consider supporting this fun throwback style of storytelling.
Or at least, this is where we try.
Overlord Phy: The Overlords, uh, ahem.
Overlord Fireflyfellow: I didn’t quite catch that.
Overlord Loriendil: I think we should poke him.
* Overlord Phy glares and clears throat.
Overlord Phy: Ok, we need your help.
Overlord Fireflyfellow: Asking for help is alien to we aliens, but we are confident you’ll understand why shortly. We are even more confident you’ll do The Right Thing.
* Overlord Loriendil glances at her Big Red Button and licks what passes for lips.
Overlord Fireflyfellow: Mwahahaha.
Overlord Phy: You’re not helping.
Overlord Loriendil: Get on with it already!
Overlord Phy: Despite being mercurial Overlords who are constantly threatening to vaporize your puny planet…
Overlord Fireflyfellow: Mwahahaha!
Overlord Phy: …we haven’t /yet/ because we want to bring you the best fiction the Universe has to offer.
Overlord Loriendil: Space Opera!
Overlord Phy: Golden age Sci-Fi!
Overlord Fireflyfellow: Fireflylike fiction!
Overlord Loriendil: I’m going to poke /him./
Overlord Phy: Mwahahaha!
Overlord Fireflyfellow: You’re not helping!
This goes on for quite some time. None of this is helping. In the interest of moving this along, here are the actual notes they’re supposed to be working from:
- Ray Gun Revival (RGR) is a volunteer organization of like-minded pulp fiction fans.
- Ray Gun Revival is now a paying magazine, advancing from a amateur token payment rates to the lower end of the Semi-Pro scale. It’s a start, but we can do better. Your donation will help increase the rates for authors (and artists!). The Overlords don’t make one red cent from running Ray Gun Revival. We have day jobs. What we don’t yet have is the ability to pay straight-up Pro rates. That’s the ultimate goal.
- Ray Gun Revival has some ideas for your kind donation:
- Framed magazine covers
- Your name on a thank you page
- A permanent link on the site
- A real raygun (the prop from our trailer)
- How much are we looking to raise? $40 covers payment of one story at our current rates. Everything raised over $1920 (4 stories per month for 12 months) will go toward increasing the payment rates for our content creators.
We now rejoin our Overlords’ conversation in-progress. (They made us do it.)
Overlord Loriendil: That’s it – I’m vaporizing their puny planet!
Overlord Fireflyfellow: Ahem. We can’t ask for donations from space dust.
* Overlord Loriendil glares.
Overlord Phy: Times are tough, this is true. But your donation will spit into the black heart of mercenary corporations and fist-clenched dictators and serve to invigorate the arts, specifically the written arts, with good old fashioned pulp fiction adventure stories. It might just save your life!
Overlord Fireflyfellow: You’re just making all that up.
Overlord Loriendil: Fist-clenched dictators? Are you looking at me? I’ll vaporize your puny planet!
Overlord Phy: You already did!
Overlord Fireflyfellow: Mwahahaha!
Overlord Loriendil: Bwahahaha!
Overlord Phy: Grr! Argh!
Spare your puny planet. Think of the children! Donate to Ray Gun Revival magazine!